Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Beginning of Weekly Nothingness

Ah, what to talk about?

It's been three months since my last whiny confession. I'm still not over Lily. I'm really not allowed to whine about it, since it's my fault we broke up. Certainly, I could write a few pages about that, but I'll just leave it at that for now.

Working as a file-monkey is not so bad. It's a job just like any other, mind-numbing and dull. It pays the bills though. Now if I could only save some small amount of money, I'd be sitting pretty. But, it seems like every time I have a little extra money some circumstance swoops down and takes it away. In December I had a $400 speeding ticket (when visiting Lily). This month I registered for an Art Center class for $725. Yesterday my new dentist told me I have periodontal disease and the treatment for it is going to be over $1000. Granted, I could have avoided all these chareges by not speeding, not trying to improve my art and letting my teeth fall out (or brushing properly, but whatever). Also, I blew over $300 on art supplies on
Saturday. I guess I'm just a slave of the capitalist system. I could live in the woods and subsist on whatever I can gather or hunt. I'd live by my own wits. I'd be dead in days. At least I wouldn't get parking tickets.

So, as mentioned above, I'm taking a weekly class at Art Center in Ye Olde Pasadena. It's titled "Introduction to Illustration" which really gives me no idea what the class will be about. If it's challenging it's worth the cash. I just hope I'm not required to do a lot of photoshop/illustrator shit at home, 'cause my pc sucks ass. Anyway, the night class thing is leading up to making a sweet portfolio to either go get into an illustration degree program or to get a real job. "Real" meaning a job that I enjoy doing and that pays well. I can't be a bum for the rest of my life right? Right? Eh... fuck you.

Speaking of a jobby job, I (supposedly) have an interview at a place called Spectral Motion. They're a special effects shop that mostly does creature effects. They did Abe Sapien and some of the other monsters for "Hell Boy". I think they're looking for a conceptual artist. I may fit the bill, but I don't think so. It's worth a try though. I've started a million sketches, but I haven't finished anything yet (check it here in the scraps section). I need to finish as much as I can over the weekend and just hope to god they don't laugh at me when I go in for the interview. I hate how much of an embarrassing ordeal life can be.

That's it for today. Time to do the office mail and then take off. Later kids.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I love Art Center, I wish it wasn't far and expensive, because I want to take another class there so bad.