Thursday, August 10, 2006

Day #... Oh, I forget. 2 weeks or something...

Tonight's post is another update on what I've been doing with myself. If you're reading this (if anyone is reading this), you should have noticed two things. One, the web address of this blog has changed. Why? I'd like to say it's because of something to do with marketing going in a "new direction", but really it's because I was messing around with the publishing settings and lost access to the old blogger address (http://launemployment.blogspot.com). Two, that my posts are always at ridiculously late hours. That's because I have been sleeping in. When I say sleeping in, I mean til like 4 pm (7pm today!). I'm a night person I guess.


If you go back a few posts, you'll see that I talked about possibly staying on the east coast if I don't find a job out here. Now, at least one of my roommates found this to be a surprise. I'm not really sure why, since I don't have a job, money, or any friends out here. I've had at least three job offers and two offers of a place to live (not counting living with my mom. Let us also not forget the fact that Los Angeles is a shit stain on the west coast, but I digress. I found out that Kelly is actually an associate producer on PBS' The Good Night Show that I am going to be assisting my Mom and others in painting. I also found out that my mom is friends with Melanie, the fired host of the show. So that's something that I found out, all from my bed in my little tent room in North Hollywood. Small freaking world.


If you check the last post, you'll see some of what I've been reading on the interweb lately. All the links from Wikipedia are for a screenplay that I came up with a few years ago, y'know, when I went to film school. It was originally called "Resurrection Man" and then "The Resurrectionist" (stupid taken titles). Basically, I got the idea from watching something on the Discovery Channel about the Burke and Hare murders in Scotland (see the link in previous post) and that there were people called "resurrectionists" who dug up recently deceased bodies to sell to medical students for about £8. I have no idea how much that was worth at the time, but it was good enough to kill someone and sell their body apparently. There have been lots of different films, shows and books about Burke and Hare and body-snatchers, but my story only starts with the resurrectionists. My hook? STEAM POWERED ZOMBIES (patent pending, patent pending). I know you wish you thought of it, but you didn't so :p. I like the idea. I know who my hero is. I know the basic setting and plot. But, now I have to write it (rewrite it actually, original's on my dead PC). So I've been letting research take me different places (like the learning that the Greeks had analog computers and steam power). Ancient Greek steampunk anyone? Yeah, doing things is the hard part of doing things.


Speaking of... the comic book. I've been working on and off on the comic. I crapped out five pages for SD Comic-con so that Emmett would have something to show to the companies there. I really was not very happy with how it looked. So, after putting the the drafting table in my pseudo-room, I've been working on my basic drawing techniques. The drawing on the right is the main character of my screenplay (okay, maybe I'm thinking of making it a comic). He's pretty beat up and trying to get away from the steam zombie in the background. Obviosly I can draw, but it's drawing consistently that's the problem (and drawing legs, they're hard). Inking is also something that needs some work. As far as I can tell, the only way to draw more consistently is too keep drawing. Once again, the hardest part of doing something... is doing it. It'd be nice if there were a sort of "autopilot" mode I could enter, where I wouldn't be aware of what I'm doing while I'm doing it. Someone please look into this for me.

I have also been reading a lot of alternative history novels (okay, two). The first was Philip K. Dick's "The Man in the High Tower (Text Files, user: Guest, pass: public1) and the one I'm currently reading is Bruce Sterling's "The Difference Engine" which is about what would have happened if England had built and used the world first computer. It's really amazing so far, and has made me much more interested in the alternative historical fiction types of books (and blogs). Maybe that's the direction I'll take the screenplay. I'm not really sure.

You can check out my Last.fm playlist in the sidebar to see what I've been listening to. It's mostly science podcasts mixed in with skater punk and Norwegian metal.

That's all for tonight kids. I'm going to go make some foods and draw some things. Night.

No comments: